Saturday, January 9, 2010

2009 Foodie Favorites


Everyone else does it- so I thought I should too.
Here are my personal picks for my favorite local dishes!

Linguine & Dirty Martinis
2009 Foodie Favorites
(according to Callie)


Appetizer:

Achiote Chickpeas, Lambert's: Caramelized onions and soft pita bread provide a perfect pillow for these flavorful chickpeas.

Bacon Chorizo Dates, Grace: These sticky, sweet, salty and spicy bundles are absolutely addicting- find them on the bar menu.

Flash-Fried Shrimp, Button's: Crispy-fried goodness flecked with spicy serrano peppers

Fried Calamari with Cashews and Wok Vegetables, Eddie V's: Perfect with a cocktail in the V Lounge, this hefty portion can feed several before dinner.

Shumai, P.F. Changs: Gasp! A chain restaurant?! Regardless, these little shrimp dumplings are delightful.



Burger:

Cheeseburger, Fred's Cafe: Although these burgers are a bit grease-ridden, they top my list.

Cheeseburger, Boomer Jacks: Suprisingly, the burgers at Boomer Jacks are well seasoned, perfectly cooked and come complete with cold, cripy vegetables and a steaming hot bun- diced red onions instead of white are a nice touch.


Cocktail:

Frozen Margarita, La Familia: My favorite margarita in Fort Worth- free from the scorned "sweet and sour" taste, these flaming mugs have a nice balance of sweet, salty and tart.

Jalapeno Cucumber Margarita, The Love Shack So7

St. Caroline, Grace: Not too sweet with an alluring flavor- includes St. Germaine Elderflower liquer, Prosecco, club soda and fresh thyme.



Cake/Cupcake:

Strawberry Cake, McKinley's: Moist, delicious and not too sweet- perfect with a cup of coffee after a long shopping jaunt.

Traditional White Cupcake, Cupcake Cottage


Lemon Petit Four, Blue Bonnet Bakery


Cup o' Joe:

Aduro Bean Micro-Roasters:
Available at Cowtown Farmers Market and Artisan Baking Company.


Dip/Spread:

Black Bean Hummus, Lili's Bisto: Arriving with a jalapeno drizzle, this smoky concoction is perfect spread over fried pita chips.

Guacamole, Mi Cocina: Delicious! I could eat an entire order alone.

Pam's Pimento Cheese, Central Market Sauce Bar: Not even a fan of pimento cheese, I have cravings for this garlic-infused treat!



Muffin:

Blueberry Struesel, Artisan Baking Company: These perfect-sized muffins boast an intense creaminess and lightness in texture.


Queso:

Fuzzy's Taco Shop: Although I'm a bit biased to Fuzzy's, I really do love their queso topped with "Fuzzy dust" and fresh pico de gallo.

Queso al Fundido con Chorizo, Paco and John: Spicy and flecked with salty chorizo


Salad:


Southwestern Greek, The Covey

Mary's Salad, Yogi's Bagel Cafe: Spinach, sesame seeds, green apples and pecans with a curried vinaigrette make an interesting combination with no protein needed.


Salsa (and freebies):

Red Salsa and Pickled Vegetables, La Familia: Still foamy from the blender, the salsa here is spicy and fresh. I love topping my salsa-drenched tortilla chip topped with their spicy pickled jalapenos, cauliflower and carrots.

Red Salsa and Black Bean Dip, Gloria's: This salsa and black bean dip can make a meal in itself. Both have a lingering garlic aroma and a bit of spice.


Sandwich:

Chicken and Roasted Green Chile, Dutch's

Good Morning Torta, Paco and John: My Twitter peeps especially know my love for this modest sandwich layered with egg, black beans, queso fresco, avocado and poblano rajas between buttery, homemade bread. Opt for no mayo- the avocado and queso fresco add an appropriate creaminess.

Sweet Luv' Us Hummus Wrap, Spiral Diner: Sweet potatoes, hummus and spicy walnuts...'nuff said,

Tempura Fish Sandwich, Fuzzy's Taco Shop

Tenderloin Panino, Lightcatcher Winery: Although the locale is a bit of a drive, this sandwich complete with caramelized onions, mushrooms, arugula and a horseradish mayonnaise is well worth it.



Seafood:

Crab Cake, Silver Fox Steakhouse

Meyer Lemon Halibut, Ellerbe's Fine Foods:
The first bite of perfectly cooked halibut and tart, meyer lemon compote made me close my eyes in pleasure.

French-Style Mussels and Pommes Frites, Sapristi!


Soup:

Cannellini Bean Soup with Chorizo, Lanny's Alta Cocina

Gumbo, Button's: Incredible depth of flavor!


Roasted Tomato Soup with Duck Confit, St. Emilion



Side:

Corn Cakes, Button's

Heirloom Squash, Pears and Spiced Pecans, Grace

Macaroni and Cheese, The Covey: Arriving in a steaming ramekin, this baked and breadcrumb-topped treat is the ultimate comfort food.


Snack:

Antipasto Board #2, Nonna Tata: Arriving on a rustic wooden board, this delicious (yet pricey) snack to share includes assorted cheeses, cured meats and charcuterie offerings.

Fried Pickles, Razoo's: I don't even like pickles! These are good- especially dipped in ranch dressing.

Gorgonzola Fries, Lili's Bistro: Melted gorgonzola, fresh scallions and crushed peppercorns atop crispy waffle fries.

Truffled Popcorn and Peanuts, Tillman's Roadhouse


Sweet treat:

Pear Ginger Scone, Artisan Baking Company:
I would eat these scones over a rich chocolate dessert any day! Seasonality determines scone flavorings at this local produce-driven bakery.

Pecan Pie Sundae, Grace: Butter pecan ice cream, bits of homemade pie crust, salted caramel and candied pecans made an incredible sweet and salty combination in this summer treat.

Strawberry Thumbprints, McKinely's


Worth a Mention:

Banana Walnut Pancakes with Agave Nectar, Spiral Diner: Oh, holy yum.

Beef Bowl, Tokyo Cafe: Spicy beef atop white rice with scallions- so simple!

Chicken Fried Steak, Old Neighborhood Grill

Chicken Tamale, Gloria's: These airy, banana-leaf wrapped delicacies filled with tender chicken and potato are the best I've eaten.

Tarragon Chicken Salad, Z's Cafe: The anise additive in this creamy chicken salad is lovely smoothed atop wheat bread.


Agree
or
disagree,
I hope you all enjoy and take advantage of your local eatery!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Jake Good said...

All the stuff looks great!

I might add a few of my favorites:

Smoked Salmon with goat cheese, cucumbers, and balsamic nachos at The Covey...

The California Burger at M&O Grill Station is ta-ta-tasty!

The old fashioned is a great cocktail at The Usual...

Just a few of my suggestions! :)

Callie Salls said...

Jake,

I agree with the smoked salmon nachos! Unfortunately I haven't been to M&O or The Usual yet! Shocking, I know. They are both definitely on my list. Thanks for sharing!

Callie

Unknown said...

Great review

I tried the black bean hummus at Lili's recently and the sauce on it was amazing.

The pumpkin cupcake (seasonal) at Cupcake Cottage was a popular choice at my house this year.

Francis Shivone said...

Great choices. Wow. Love that guacamole at Mi Cocina, as well. I have never been to Paco/John, need to go.

Really, excellent, I shall be trying them . . .

Unknown said...

Great review Callie! Apparently, I have quite a few dishes to try.

If you haven't been to Los Vaqueros, you really should try their fajitas and (gasp!) a low-calorie margarita. It's called the "Senorita" and they make it with agave nectar, tons of fresh lime, a little Splenda and good tequila. I always get mine on the rocks. Delicious.

Callie Salls said...

Fort- I'll have to try the pumpkin cupcake next October! Thanks for reading!

Francis- Glad you agree about the guacamole. I need to get my fix soon:)Paco and John is inexpensive for lunch and byob for dinner. I also like the spinach cheese enchiladas (spicy!)for lunch and pechuga de pollo with avocado and bananas for dinner.

Sonya- I'm sold! It's on my list. Thanks!

帶我走 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.