Tuesday, February 23, 2010

fresh savory and wasabi cream


L a t e l y ,

my focus has been on writing recipes

(for my lovely readers)

and trying all of the new Fort Worth eateries, bars and attractions that I've been fiending to investigate.

I was finally able to sip cocktails in the modern, streamlined and newest funky bar on Magnolia: The Usual-- known to serve prohibition-era cocktails and provide extra special touches to Sidecar's, Gin Martinis and Old Fashioned's.

I arrived for a birthday fĂȘte and immediately armed myself with a gin-laced classic boasting one of my favorite bitter liquors: Campari. The Negroni cocktail was finished with a torched sugar cube, orange peel and a sweet cherry. Nice and stout for the $15 price tag.

On an increasingly-brisk Monday evening, some foodie gals and I gathered at my humble abode to:
sip and rate a cocktail I concocted
(appearing in the Spring issue of Fort Worth Foodie)
and take some photographs of the spiced delight.

More details to come...my lips are sealed!

I also provided a handheld hors d'eouvre that is perfect to make ahead, serve room temperature and keep the hostesses' hands untied when she should be pouring cocktails instead!

Roasted Eggplant Flatbread with Tomatoes, Savory & Fleur de Sel

Serves 4-6 as an appetizer.

Roasted eggplant:

1/2 eggplant, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
salt
1 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While oven is preheating, salt eggplant rounds and let excess moisture drain on paper towels. Rinse rounds to remove excess salt and pat dry. Arrange rounds on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast eggplant approximately 20 minutes until golden brown and dried. Set aside while assembling flatbread.

Flatbread:

Homemade or pre-made pizza crust (12 inch round)
1 c plum tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 t red pepper flakes
fleur de sel to taste
1 T fresh savory, minced
ff
Drizzle pizza round with olive oil and top with arrange eggplant and tomato slices. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, savory and fleur de sel. Bake in 400 degree oven until tomatoes soften and crust is golden brown approximately 10 minutes.
ff
After our cocktail cheers, we headed to the Hospital District to try Magnolia's newest eatery: Cat City Grill. We were seated near the full-length windows at a cozy, stainless steel four-top. Amongst glasses of cab and Makers 7, we noshed on the addictive asparagus tempura with a spicy wasabi cream and sesame seeds.

On another eating incident, I had greasy, bar food on my mind. My boyfriend and I headed to the just-opened Pour House on 7th street. Ok, everyone knows I can be a bit on the picky side-- I was really impressed! Good music (Cake, Rolling Stones, Madonna), attentive service and the food was better than mere "bar food."
ff
We started with nachos (ehh...) but were wowed with our sandwiches: cheesesteak with gooey cheese, mushrooms and onions for him and turkey melt with red onion, guacamole and habanero mayo for her. The produce was fresh, the flavors were attractive and everything was piping hot! The only bothersome part of the evening was the heavy cigarette smoke-- sit outside if this bothers you.

I wanted to close with a simple, filling and pretty breakfast perfect for a lazy weekend morning:

Hot Tea with Honey & Lemon and Toasted 7-grain with Almond Butter and Sliced Anjou Pears

Boil water, steep tea, toast bread, spread butter, slice pears-- lovely morning!

Photobucket

No comments: